If you do not have a plunger handy, there are other ways you can unblock your toilet using different methods. Having a clog in your toilet drain can create a world of issues for your household, especially if you do not have a backup on your property.
A clogged toilet can occur due to a build-up of toilet paper or if an item has been flushed down and is lodged inside the pipework. You can identify a problem with your toilet system with these indicators,
- Slow draining water
- If your cistern water is slow to drain or begins to overflow. This could mean a blockage — you’ve got a blocked toilet.
- Gurgling sound
- Water rises when you flush or toilet overflow
- Strong odour coming from drain
These can signify an obstructed pipeline or a collapsed water pipe on your property. These should not be ignored and taken care of fast to prevent major plumbing problems from growing.
What can I use to unblock a toilet without a plunger?
There are ways to clear a blockage in a drain without using a plunger. Below are some tips and methods on DIY toilet drain clearing.
- Dish Soap — Any slippery liquid, like dish soap, will help lubricate the pipe and loosen the obstruction. Dish soap can cut through the sticky grime and other build-ups that can clog your toilet. Pour half a cup of standard dish soap or dishwashing liquid into the toilet bowl. You can also use a soap bar, chop it up and place the pieces inside the toilet.
- Hot Water — Boiling water is excellent for softening and pushing small items through the pipework. By pouring one bucket of boiling water into the toilet from your wait level, the pressure of the hot water should unstick whatever is causing the obstruction. Make sure to use rubber gloves so your hands are protected from burns or scalds. And be careful because it could crack the porcelain.
- Salt solution - Mixed with hot water and baking soda, you can create a salt solution that effectively unclogs your toilet.
- Wire Hanger — By unbending a coat hanger, you have created a makeshift hook or drain snake or ’poker’ that can be used to push or move a stubborn item through your toilet pipes. Carefully but purposely go one end of the straightened wire into the bowl and through the opening. Once you have felt resistance, you have hit the obstruction, and all you have to do is push until you can feel the debris move and clear itself.
There is a way to clear your clogged toilet without exerting yourself or utilising natural, non-harmful, organic ingredients from your pantry. Open your pantry, and voila! You can have a baking soda and vinegar mixture to clear your blocked toilet. Just pour 1 cup of baking soda and 2 cups of vinegar down the toilet bowl. Let the enzymes work their magic on the grease, food or built up toilet paper and break down the clog for you. Leave your baking soda and vinegar mixture overnight and pour hot water down the toilet bowl. Flush the toilet and if the blockage is still there, try the method once more.
It’s simple when floating objects like toilet paper cause blocks in your toilet. They can be easy to detect and remove. But there are various reasons blocking your toilet that can remain undetectable, which won’t be solved by a mere dish soap or organic solution. Especially if you have no experience with plumbing. Mineral deposits from hard water can settle and solidify (calcification) in the pipes. They can hinder the movement of waste, causing blockages.
Not only that, but a blocked toilet can also stem from unwanted objects like razor heads, hair, soaps scums, and detergent flushing down the pipe. Over time, the undissolved substances will block the pipe, narrowing the passage for waste removal. It would help if you were careful about dropping anything in the toilet bowl that’s not meant to be flushed in the first place. Dispose of your hygiene products like dental floss, napkin, diapers, and tissue appropriately.
If you’re experiencing a more complicated blockage in your toilet or bathroom drains, we recommend contacting a trusted plumbing team with experience in how to clear a toilet effectively and unclog your toilet or get your drains working in the best condition.